Monday, December 2, 2013

Letter dated 2 December 2013--Two baptisms!

Oi Família e Amigos!
 
This week I have a lot of things to say and not much time to say it all! So, first news of the this week is that we had a baptism, for 2 people! So, as a District we made a goal that everyone in the District would have a baptism on the 30th and we all achieved that. Not only that but in total, Praia had 35 baptisms this last week. The Church here is exploding. But more about the two I actually had a part in helping.
 
So, first one is a girl named Ro. She was a reference from the branch. She has been coming to Church for weeks because her boyfriend is the secretary of the branch. She has 2 little girls and is very busy with work and school. When we first talked to her, she was super excited and was super interested in the Church. But we know Satan, and he just hit her with everything and she was really stressed out with family, school and work (she does hair right now). But with thanks for the help of the Relief Society, the Branch President, and her boyfriend she was able to rekindle her excitement for baptism and she was baptized. Also, I think that there is a wedding in the Church being planned now :)
 
The other person is named Cristiano. We found him, or I guess I should say he found us, while we were teaching another investigator. He literally walked into her house and told us, "I went to your church 7 years ago with my uncle and I want to be baptized." So we started to teach him and he just accepted everything super quick. He quit alcohol like it was nothing and committed to living everything. One day while we were teaching him, we asked if he had any questions and his question was, "How do you become an Elder? I feel like that is my purpose in life; to serve a mission." We were so shocked. But he was so excited and he was just so ready to be baptized. A miracle happened  on the day of his baptism also. Like I mentioned before, he went to Church before with his uncle. Well, the day of the baptism just happened to be the day where Branch Presidents were being interviewed and his uncle ( a Branch President on the other side of the Island) was in town. So, we get to church and Cristiano leaves us and runs up to some random man. It turned out to be his uncle. What a great moment for his uncle to be there to watch and support him on his special day. It was so great and I am so happy for him and Ro. They are both going to help out a ton with the missionary work here. I am super excited!
 
Other news, we did our move last Thursday. All I can really say about that is that I hope when I get home, I don't have to move everything like I did here in Achada Grande. It took all day and wasn't the most fun way to spend Thanksgiving. Although I am grateful for the fact that I now live in a house with water that doesn't go out, like forever! Thats a great blessing. We live with the other Elders of Achada Grande and it's been pretty good. We are still trying to figure out a couple things like where to put stuff but it's nothing we can't handle. We are living with Elder Gooch and Elder Jarvis, should anyone want to know.
 
In other news, we are working a lot with members to find new investigators. We are finding a lot of people who are preparing to be baptized this month. Problem is, that a lot of them have to be married first and for a lot of people here, that is a deal breaker. We are also working a lot with less actives, trying to get them come back to Church. We have been working the Primary President of our Branch a lot because her family (husband and children) are all less active. This last week the husband came to Church and she was just so happy. Now it is our hope to get the kids to come too.
 
Well, things are super good here. Everyone is getting excited to Skype home for Christmas though. Our Zone Leader's house is decked out with Christmas stuff. Nothing says "trunky" like a bunch of Christmas decorations. I guess I can't really talk... a member gave a me a Christmas tree :)
Love you and talk to you soon!


Well, I was considering sending him this absolutely adorable personalized Christmas stocking that a family in our ward gave us with the following note:
There is no place like home for the Holidays...
So the song says, but for Missionaries of The church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints there is no better place to celebrate the Savior's birth than right where they are, teaching His Gospel.
Missionaries leave their families for a time so that those they teach can have their families for all time.
But...I don't want to make him homesick so I'll gladly hang it here, grateful as always to have a missionary serving the Lord!
 
 
Tchão!
Elder Dorff

The computer won't let me send photos. Next week I will send muitos (many)!

No comments:

Post a Comment