Monday, June 10, 2013

Letter dated June 7, 2013--got mail or a visa?

Oi Familia e Amigos!
 
How's everyone's lives? I hope you just said good to yourself because I am doing great. I feel like a lot has happened in this past week but at the same time nothing much that is new has happened. Still teaching 2 "investigators" and work on my Portuguese. Eu gosto de comer gelado. Yep that's right. I am now profiecient enough to say that I like ice cream. :) I am also improving in my teaching abilities and talking to others in Portuguese. \
 
So shout outs to those who wrote me this week. Mom, that picture of all you on the golf cart was great. It looks like your having fun and your making me a little jealous about being able to go to the beach but of course I am going to have plenty of time near a beach in a couple of weeks. Can you believe that? 3 more weeks and I am out to Africa! Lance I hope you get my letter before you leave for the MTC! If not you will have to have your mom forward it to you. Lauren thanks for your letter and welcome back to Provo! You've got a letter coming your way too. Now to everyone else. I want to hear how your doing! Even if you just sent a Dear Elder that says "Hi." I would be so happy! It would be awesome. Either way I can't force you but honestly it really isn't fun to be the one person that doesn't have mail to open at the end of the day :'(
 
So this past week we got new zone leaders. Our old ones and their whole district left early this past week and we have all been missing them. Because none, but one, got their visas they all got reassigned to different areas. For all of you in the Anaheim mission look out for an Elder Peterson, Elder Ross, and one more Elder I can't remember the name of. They were in my MTC branch and they are awesome people! I told them to look for some of you from Placentia 1st.  Because they all left, the free bins have been full of stuff. From those bins anyone can go and grab whatever they want. I got a pair of shorts (washed them before I wore them), a German Bible, a German Language Manual (i feel like i need to keep it up), a waterbottle, a christmas tree (oh yeah, be jealous), and whole bunch of candy/food. Elder Welch inherited a pair of drinking glasses and tested them out at dinner. It was awesome.
 
Speaking of meals, President Nally, the MTC President, and his wife had lunch with us the other day. It was really cool to talk to them and get their insights on missions. They had a lot to say about missions and everything it was awesome and they got to know "Fiddy Fouh Bee" (which is what an elder in my branch calls "the gangster version of us being district 54B") and a couple of us got photos. I would have got one but they were late for a meeting so I decided to let them go.
 
Okay, so one of the highlights of being at the MTC is that we have devotionals every Sunday and Tuesday night. It is so awesome. They are so uplifting and encouraging and I always walk away feeling like I am glad to be here and that I can always improve so that I can be the servant to the Lord's work. I just want to share with you a simple concept that I learned at one of these devotionals. Brother Stephen B. Allen, who helped author the missionary handbook, "Preach My Gospel" (and also had lunch with us. Yep, everyone likes having their lunch with us.) and also is like the head of the missionary board, came and spoke to us. One of the things that he said to us is that "the more struggles you have, the more you know you're on the right path." Don't despair when life gets difficult and it seems like the whole world is caving in. Keep yourself positive, strong, and with a prayer in your heart and you can get through anything life puts in your path. I have a testimony this is true. For all those who are struggling about the idea of serving a mission, do it. It will be one of the best decisions that you will ever make. Those who have their calls, don't get distracted. Some things that distracted missionaries before their missions are still distracting them in the MTC and I am sure it follows throughout the mission. For those who enter the MTC next week (Andrew and Lance are the only 2 I know of but tell me if you are coming too!) can't wait to see you and expect to be photographed. :)
 
Eu tenho muito amor para voces! (I have much love for you all!)
 
Tchau Tchau!
-Elder Dorff :)
 
 
Elder Welch and I at the Provo Temple


Me, the Provo Temple and the Cape Verde flag

No comments:

Post a Comment