Friday, June 14, 2013

Letter dated June 14, 2013---district changes, terrific Tuesdays and flights

Olá Familia e Amigos!
 
Can you believe that I have already been gone a whole month? It's kind of shocking for me to think that is the case. I've only got 1.5ish more weeks and then I should be shipped out to Cape Verde. Exciting news is that we should be receiving our flight info and visas next Tuesday. Eu estou muito animado! (I am really excited!)
 
So I got some news for all you people. At the 4 week mark everything changes within the district. Juinor Companions become Senior Companions and a new district leader is chosen. Well, 3minutes before sacrament meeting I was called to be the next district leader. That means that I now have morning meeting with the Branch Presidency and have to conduct 2 district meeting during the week. Needless to say it has been a stressful change. But thusfar has been an uplifting experience.
 
So lets see what else happened this week. Oh yeah. So the first day as district leader, one of the Elders bent back his front tooth to where it broke the bloodvessel to his tooth. I occamanied him to the dentist where they pushed it back into place. Lots of blood.... (Never want to be a dentist...) They then told us that he would have to come back in a week to check on the tooth. Either they will do nothing to it or will have to preform a root canal on it. Yeah. It was a an interesting first day. 2 other people in my district got hurt that same day too. But since then no problems.
 
So yesterday we had our first experience street contacting. It was a lot of fun and our teacher said that he might get us permission to go onto BYU campus and we could street contact there.
 
So I have to say that one of the best days of the week is Tuesday. First of all it is service day and after we clean bathrooms we get to raid the free bins and get a whole bunch of awesome stuff like bath robes, towels, baseballs, and everything else you could possiblely imagine. We then have the opportunity to just enjoy a nice couple of hours for personal exercise. On Tuesday nights, we sing at the devotional as part of the choir and then get to hear an amazing talk. This week was by Elder Arnold and his wife. They talked about not having regrets in our missions and in our lives by remembering who we are (children of God) and what we have been called to do. Afterward, we have a District Review where we all talk about what we thought about the devotional and man the Spirit was incredibly strong. I loved it! Oh and did I forget to mention that devotionals are now in the Marriott center so I get to go on campus once a week now :)
 
No marathon was scheduled for that day, but on June 11 the march of thousands of missionaries from the Provo Missionary Training Center to the Marriott Center resembled a race.
The stream of missionaries curled around the Marriott Center parking lot, the path marked with orange construction cones. A smiling senior couple wearing orange vests brought up the rear, hand-in-hand.
 A historic 2,788 missionaries, 140 coming from an overflow campus at Wyview Park, filed into the Marriott Center with one purpose and spirit.
This unprecedented wave has pushed the number of full-time missionaries serving from 58,000 to roughly 69,000 currently, and the number is expected to reach 85,000 during fall 2013. The MTC held roughly 2,000 missionaries this time last summer, but on July 10, 2013, the number should be 3,611.
 
So here at the MTC, starting week 3 you do something called TRC. It's were people come in, members and nonmembers, and the missionaries share a spiritual thought with them. It's kind of like home teaching except I am doing it in Portuguese. So tomorrow we have it and we are doing something really crazy. We are going to be skyping members in Brazil! We are going to be talking to real masters of the the language and I am excited yet terrified for it. Also, our teacher Irmão Pinho's dad is a mission president in Brazil. He is going to try to get us to be able to talk to him. It should be interesting. I'll have to tell you how it goes next week.
 
Can you believe that I only have like 1.5 weeks left? I repeat myself because I hardly believe it.
 
Well it has a been an incrediablely fun week. I have been bummed out on the fact that Lance got his visa to Spain (cause I really wanted to see him here) but I am glad that he gets to spend that extra time in Spain! Adrienne I have been looking for your brother with real intent and I can't find him anywhere! It makes me frustrated. Is he on the West Campus because if so you'll have to Dear Elder him and tell him to look for me at the devotional on Tuesday. We can meet outside Portal F or something. You can Dear Elder me his response if you get one in time. Caitlin L. it was great to hear from you. It's hard to forget the person who made me realize how much fun West Coast Swing actually was. I can't believe that you are taking both 184 and 185. That is a lot of dancing. Hey Terri! I hope that David got his call by now and I hope that you are doing good and are mighty happy with life. If not, it will get better. That's something you learn quickly here in the MTC. You've got a letter coming your way from me!
 
Well I hope that everyone is doing good overwherever you are. Cami remember to send me photos of little Beckam (spelling?) or Max when he comes. Mark how is the family doing? Is Arizona still there? Evaly how's everyone doing? Ready for school to end if it hasn't already? What are the summer plans? Hope all your families are doing good! Mom, I hope your doing good. Dad, thanks for sending the files and pictures I wanted. Those were somethings that were said that I should have as serve.
 
Well I love you all and I pray for your safety and health. Talk to you soon (remember if you write me, I will write you back!)
 
-Elder Dorff
 
P.S. So newest problem for missionaries. The people who are waiting for visas are now having to wait for reassignments which means that some missionaries have to stay in the MTC longer. Thank goodness that Cape Verde just loves letting us Americans into their country :) Those going to Peru, Brazil, and Argentina beware and be prepared :/
 
P.S.S. Hey guess what! The plans came today! Okay so here it is. On Monday June 24th I fly from Salt Lake (9:45 am) to Boston (4:25 pm) then we chill in Boston for a while then leave (11 pm) and arrive in Praia (9 AM the next day)! Super excited!
 


Elder Dorff and Elder ?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment