Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Letter dated 21 April 2014--perks of mission home life & a chance re-encounter

Olá Família e Amigos,

Me hard at work

So, this last week was a week of hands on learning. It was a good week although I am pretty tired. So first of all, as mentioned in my last email, I am working in the Mission Office as the Mission Housing Coordinator. During this last week, I worked more with electric companies and housing contracts than I ever thought possible. It was especially interesting because the missionary I replaced didn't receive permission to stay here in the office for the transfer to train me on how to do this job. So I have been kind of figuring out this job as the days go on, but all is well. This week I discovered a couple of added bonuses of why this is the perfect time to enter the office. For one, during the hottest time of the day, during the hottest months of the year, I don't leave to go out to teach until 6pm which are the best hours for finding people at home to teach. I also get to work with some of the nicest Elders and Senior missionaries, and of course, have more conversations with President and Sister Oliveira. I live with the APs, Elder Otterstrom and Elder Heagney (he is from Australia) and they are awesome missionaries. Elder Otterstrom was my zone leader in Fogo when I started my mission so it is kind of fun to live in the same house as him a little before he heads home which is at the end of the transfer. I also get to talk to any missionary I want (when I am asking if they have a water barrel in their house) and hear from so many friends (usually if it is about house problems or the rare "I am afraid of my landlord" situations). It's not my perferred situation but I am convinced that I am meant to be here for very specific reasons.
 
One of those reasons was so I could work in this new area. The area that I am working in (but don't live in; it is a 30 minute walk) is called Bela Vista, or in English "Beautiful View." It's not the prettiest area itself but with the view you can see all of Praia. The members of this ward are so strong, especially my new best friend, Ailton. Get this. He is 19 years old, turning 20 on the 25th of April. Sound familiar? He is literally 3 hours younger than me and that math is counting the time difference. We have already planned a birthday party for the two of us. It should be a lot of fun. 
 
S & E's wedding

Also, yesterday we had a interesting encounter with someone. We were just walking along and we hear someone yell, "ELDER DORFF! WHAT'S UP!?" I turn around thinking, "I've been here for less than one week, who knows me?" A 16 year old boy comes up to me and we talked a little bit and I asked how he knew me. He related a story of how one time I had gone over to Paula and Paulina's house (2 of my baptisms) in Achada Grande Frente (like 4 or 5 months ago) and I had taught their family and he was there. He turned out to be Paula and Paulina's uncle. He told me how he was super excited to see me again and I asked if we could talk to him. We talked for a little bit about how he was doing and then we said a prayer. After the prayer, the feeling of the room changed, and I asked him what he remembered from that visit in Achada Grande and he recounted how I had shared 3 Nephi 13:31-34 with the family and how those scriptures sunk deep into his heart.
 
 31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
 32 For your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
 33 But aseek ye first the bkingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.
 34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow, for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. aSufficient is the day unto the evil thereof.
 
After that day, he had gone to Church a couple of times with his nieces. By the end of the visit we had marked a date for his baptism. I hope to help him prepare for that day so that one more person of that family can enjoy the blessings of the Gospel. 
 
Baptism of Sandra and Junior

One more thing that happened this week. We had the New Missionary Orientation this past week; 4 new sisters and 1 new elder. As part of the Orientation I talked about taking care of the houses and not misusing mission phones. It was kind of a fun reminder of how it was for me almost a year ago when I received my orientation. 
 
Easter was pretty quiet this year but the purpose of it was the same. In reality, I probably had more of an opportunity to think about the real purpose of Christ and his mission. All I can say is that I know that He lives, and He is there for all of us. Don't turn His open helping hand down. Give up your pride, fall on your knees, and take upon yourself His load and he will help you with yours. That's what I am learning out here, and I am grateful for this ongoing lesson. 
 
Love you all, thanks for the birthday wishes, it should be a great one. Mom, the package still hasn't come (maybe the post office knows exactly when it is my birthday). Grandpa Luymes HAPPY 80th! I love you a lot and will be thinking about you all this week! And Josh and Brooklyn, I hope that the wedding is absolutely awesome! It will be a weekend of much celebration!
 
My new companion, Elder Godfrey

Love you lots!
Elder Brent Dorff (4 more days as a teenager, weird huh?)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment