Monday, September 2, 2013

Letter dated 9-2-13--Katia and Joãozinho's baptims

Bom Dia minha familia e meus amigos!
 
So, first off, I just realized that today was Labor Day. I love how Labor Day just happens to be on the day that we get to play and labor the least. In fact, I am not in Mosteiros right now. We actually decided to go to another area to be with the Elders there and so we are using Internet over here. 
 
Wow, it sounds like the family is really busy right now. It's is honestly the strangest feeling to think that life goes on as you serve a mission. Like you think that things won't change all that much but I just read the weekly updates and everyone is doing a whole bunch of different things. It makes me excited to hear that everyone is good. Oh and one last thing. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEG! I love you so much!
 
So, about Cabo Verde. This week was awesome! First of all, we had 2 baptisms this week. We first had Katia (18 years), who has literally been talking to missionaries for over 9 months. She is super smart though and studies the Bible and the Book of Mormon for 30 minutes every day. She loves the Gospel so I am really glad that she was able to be baptized. She is going to the University in Praia next month so we will only get to enjoy having her as a member here for a month or so.
 
Elder Paredes, Joãozinho, Katia, Elder Dorff and others 
The other was Joãozinho (17 years), who is like the exact opposite as Katia. He doesn't have much education and can't read very well but he has had a desire to be baptized since we met him. I can remember when we met him. We were filling up the font for Eugênio's baptism (remember the flooding in the Church) and he just came up to me and Elder McKissick and asked if he could sit with us. After a couple of minutes, Elder McKissick asked if we could teach him and he was like, "yeah, totally." We wanted to teach him more but we didn't know where he lived so we couldn't but then, a miracle happened. We were running errands and I saw him walk by a window and I ran outside and waved him down. He was so excited to see us. We taught him some more and he was baptized. The baptismal service had a lot of problems (jumpsuit problems, witnesses, program) but the actual baptisms themselves were great. And, in fact, I was able to actually do the baptism for Joãozinho! So I was really excited and happy to do that.
 
In other news, yesterday was crazy rainy and so here you see me and Elder Paredes walking around gathering people for Church, soaked, in our suits. It was fun but a lot of hard work. But it was worth it. We were able to get 8 of our investigators to come to Church, which is my new mission record and also the record for the Branch. I am excited for this week. We have found some new prospects and they seem really interested in what we have to teach. And I think that we might actually start the marriage paperwork this week. We have a lot of work to do but I am excited to help everyone.
 
Well, it sounds like everyone is doing good. I love you all, and I feel stronger every week as I read your letters. Some missionaries get "trunky" meaning that they miss America and everything there (family, friends, modern tech, music, food, culture, etc.) and that causes them to not work their best. Not saying that I don't miss that stuff but I try not to dwell on it because I know that if I continue to work hard here, Heavenly Father will protect and help everyone I love at home. I mean when you think about it, my mission is already flying by super quick. We were talking about that the other day. Days drag on, but weeks fly by, months are like a blink of an eye, transfers even faster, and I am sure that when I hit one year I will be like "What just happened!" Either way, love you all and I pray for your welfare and thanks for praying for mine!

Tchão!
Elder "Spearhead" Dorff :)

No comments:

Post a Comment