Monday, January 13, 2014

Letter dated 13 Jan 2014--Learning to be a smarter missionary

Oi Família e Amigos!
 
So, first off, Mom! I have an investigator here that works in the Post Office and he said that he found my Christmas package! So, it is just a matter of getting it from the Post Office (and that's the APs job). Oh, and I got one of Grandpa's letters today. The one he sent for the month of AUGUST! So, I think I have received May, June, July, August, October, and December. I think that means I can expect 2 or 3 in the next month. :)
 
 
Yes! Christmas package finally located...now we only hope the gifts inside are still there though the Christmas banner and lights won't be of much use now. LOL..Merry Christmas Elder!
 

Sounds like it was a fun week (or maybe busy is a better word) for all of you at home. I think that BYU has started up again (which means I hope to hear all about BYU basketball when the games start) and life is begining to return a little back to normal. The same has certainly happened here too except for the fact that today is some national holiday here. It's like the day that they are celebrating liberty (but it's not their Independence Day). Nobody really knows why they don't have school or the banks are closed but they are getting ready for a big old party downtown. Hopefully that doesn't mean that we are going to experience a "New Years" aftermath again. But we will see.
 
So this last week, one of the highlights was that we were able to go on divisions. Elder Conduanhe went with Elder Jarvis to the other side of Achada Grande (Traz) and I stayed in our area with Elder Gooch. We live in the same house but it is definitely different working with Elder Gooch than Elder Conduanhe. I think the biggest differences were the facts that Elder Gooch has much more time in the mission, is American, and also has a different personality. It was fun and I learned a lot about myself and how Elder Conduanhe and I can work better together. I feel like since the division we are working with much more unity and we have success planned for this last week of the transfer.

 
One thing that Elder Gooch and I talked about is about how hard we work as missionaries. No it wasn't the type of conversation like, "Aw, man. Life is hard. The mission is hard. I want to go home..." No, it was the type of conversation talking about how we could make our work more efficient and more focused on the will of the Lord. We talked about how we can work super hard, running from appointment to appointment and teaching 8 or 9 lessons a day, for an entire week and still end up with no one wanting to be baptized. We talked about how it is important to be smart with our time. The time we have is the Lord's and he will direct us to the people that are ready to listen. If we follow the Lord's will and only end up teaching 2 or 3 lessons that day, it's okay, because those people will progress and be baptized. I feel like I'm not explaining this very well but one thing is for sure, I've decided that I am going to be a smarter missionary. This week, I will hit 8 months (Wow, the time has FLOWN!) and so I've  got two thirds of mission left to help the people that I need to here. It's not about the numbers of lessons taught or numbers of people who go to Church, but it's about the people who are earnestly searching for a better relationship with God. I'm going to be that humble servant that the Lord can use to help his children return to Him. I love this work! I honestly do. For all those thinking about missionary service, wow, this Gospel true and what a blessing it will be for you to serve! Just know that!


Well, l I love you all. Keep up with school, work, family life, and everything. Always make room for the Lord and you will always have his help.
Tchão!


Elder Dorff

No comments:

Post a Comment