Monday, November 4, 2013

Letter dated 4 November 2013--Adjusting to Praia and Portuguese

Man can you believe it meu família e amigos,
 
It is November! I left for the mission field in May! Man the time has passed. So, this week was a good first week. It was super crazy for me though because literally this week was just full of weird transfer business in the Zone. For one, they split the zone in Praia into two because they just opened the island of Maio for missionaries so more people were moved around. Me and Elder Conduanhe weren't affected by it but many others were. This last Saturday we had a Zone Meeting (which is shorter than a Zone Conference) and I found out that Elders McKissick, Welch and Bazzarone are all in my zone, Praia Leste (East)! So it was super fun to see my first companion in the field, my first companion of the MTC. It was just an awesome "Elder" day.

Also, this week was Stake Conference. I didn't get to listen to any of it though because we moved out of the meeting so more members could sit and listen. That is a problem that I have never had to deal with. But something cool about Conference is that I saw my recent convert, Katia, from Mosteiros there! She went to Praia for school this last transfer. She isn't in the same branch that I will be working in but is in the same building. In fact, her university is situatated right above the Church building (even in Praia I don't have a chapel).


Katia at Stake Conference and me and my companion, Elder Conduanhe

Something really cool that happened this week is that we had a baptism! His name is Manuel and he was being taught and was almost ready for baptism when I got here. I finished teaching him and then got him ready for baptism. I don't know him very well still but I know that he has a true testimony of the Gospel and if he is any sign of how the work is going to go here, I am super excited. At this point, we are working a lot on trying to find new people to teach and determine who of the people that we already have will progress. It is a lot of work. And trying to figure out what needs to be done with Elder Conduanhe's training and speaking Portuguese every day almost all day, it is a little stressful. But I am loving it all! Elder Conduanhe is a great Elder. There are definitely cultural differences like when it comes to food (I am happy with a sandwich and juice for lunch and he wants a full 3 course meal) and other things. It is fun. Fun thing that we did for P-day is that we played soccer. Almost every Elder in Praia played. It was so much fun and although I didn't score I made a lot of assists.


View of Praia from my house

Well it sounds like this was a good week for everyone. Halloween sounds like fun. My celebrations were pretty minimal. I love all the photos I got. And I am still waiting to hear about Christy's baby... October 22nd came and went. Thanks for all your prayers and your love. Talk to you all next week!

Com muito amor,
Elder Dorff

No comments:

Post a Comment